Thursday, April 23, 2009

When my grandchildren came to visit me, they showed me love and affection because they knew that that was maybe the last time they would see me. My mind kept going back to that frightning night. The pizza man knocked on my door because I ordered pizza. When I opened the door, the pizza man was standing looking very scared with a man standing on each side of him holding him at gun pint. I tried to shut the door, but they overpowered me because of my old age. They let the pizza man go after they took robbed him. They went through my house finding things that they liked or thought was valuable. I tried to call the police, but they beat me until I became unconscious. When I awoke, I was at the hospital surrounded by my family. The doctor walded in and said, "Mrs. Jones, we had quite a scare. If your neighborwouldn't have called the police, you would have died." My daughters were sobbing silentlywhile their husband tried to comfort them. My grandchildren didn't really know what was going on because they were so young. The doctor turned to my daughters and said, "You two are very lucky because your mother had a heart attack after the beating. I don't think that she should stay in a place by herself anymore. Have you all thought about maybe putting her in a nursing home?" My girls looked at me, then him, my oldest daughter said, "My mom will not be going to a nursing home. She can stay with either me or my sister, but she will not stay in a nursing home." The doctor said, "That's fine, I know how people don't want their loved ones in a nursing home, but..." I drifted of to sleep. I awoke to the nurse sticking a needle in my arm. She looked at me and smiled. She said pleasantly, "Good morning Mrs. Jones, It's nice to see you up. I'm just taking some blood for some tests. Just relax, now you're going to feel a pinch, there. Dr. Reynolds will be in to check on you in a little." I nodded my head and thanked the kind woman even though my arm was now stinging in pain. Not long after, a talll man that looked to be in his mid 40's, brown hair with strands of gray showing his aging, glasses, and a mole right on the bottom of his chin introduced himseslf as Dr. Reynolds, we talked about the incident and he told me that I will be living with my oldest daughter, Lachel and her family. I felt sad because I didn't want to be a burden. After a few weeks, he told me because my body was in good shape when I had the heart attack, I could go home. I just had to heal from the surgery. My daughter Lachel came to pick me up from the hospital when I was released. I stayed there until I got better and convinced my daughter to let me rent an apartment a block away. She told me that the only way that I could go was if I got one of those necklaces with a button I could push to alert the police. I moved in not long after getting the necklace. I lived on my retirement fund so I didn't need money from anyone. My daughters and grandchildren calls me everyday now just to check on me. I'm still precaucious and I don't order pizza anymore.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny but I want to know what the thieves found when they "went through my house finding things that they liked or thought was valuable." This would have told me a lot about Mrs. Jones.

    ReplyDelete