Thursday, April 23, 2009

Friends in the Midst!!!

We sat and watched in disgust as Barry ate his lunch. He had two big slices of pepperoni pizza, a side of french fries, and fruit, along with warm chocolate milk. Barry was an awful, unmannerable eater. While he ate french, french fries were flown behind him, and he stuffed the slices of pizza in his mouth. Once he was finished, he began to devour his fruit. Fruit flew from Barry's mouth while he chewed. One piece of fruit even landed on my tray of food. When Barry finished, he had a big pepperoni under hi botom lip, ketchup was diverged all over his hands and face, and he had a slice of pineapple smushed oon his cheek. He ate like he didn't have any home training. I didn't understand because he seemed to be a nice guy, but all of a sudden when lunch time came, he ate like he was a hog. No one wanted to be around him because of his disgusting eating habit. He had somewhat good grades in school and he seened to be nice. I thought, since he didn't have any friends, I would try to be his friend, so I tapped him on his shoulder and when he turned around to look at me, with his white t-shirt, now covered with chocolate milk, I asked him what class did he have next, just trying to start conversation. He seemed happy that finally, someone wanted to talk to him. As we began to talk more, we found out that we had the same classes, we liked to read books, talk on the phone a lot, and we loved to write poems. We found out that we had a lot in common. That's when I found out that Barry had three younger sibling and his mom was a single mother working and trying ot pay the rent for their two bedroom apartment, while trying to scrammble up enough money to buy food. His mom couldn't really afford to buy different things at certain time, like food, so all he had to eat was school breakfast and lunch. That was why he ate like that. I felt so sorry for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment